January 3, 2013

Making the shift

School starts Monday and I have to say that I'm quite excited to return. At least most of me is. The other part of me, I would say 20% is a bit apprehensive. Why you ask, well because I've been unemployed for over a year and making a shift to a new career and way of life is a bit scary.

Like most of us I'm used to clocking in and out for someone else. While I hated that life it was predictable and "easy" for the most part. I knew I would get a paycheck every 2 weeks on Thursday. Before I lost my job I had my entire year of paychecks planned out. It was nice. My work environment wasn't though.

As I return to school I reflect on why I chose this new career path. I'm in school for Graphic Design. I've longed to be a graphic designer for as long as my daughter has been on the planet...8 years. I was chicken, intimidated, and had MAJOR feelings of inadequacy when I thought about making the career change. Prior to receiving the scholarship to return to school I was faced with attempting to re-enter a field of work that I truly had no interest in. I'd been in retail for over 25 years and I kinda know the industry like the back of my hand. That didn't mean that I wanted to return to it. Long hours, management who knew less than you do, and just an all around thankless job.

I wanted a career with more meaning, a career that allowed me to use my creativity plus my love of craft and design. The unfortunate or should I say the most challenging aspect of this new career venture is the unpredictability. I would be a freelance designer which allows me to be my own boss, but also means financial irregularity & unpredictability. I ask myself if I'm ready for this leap (I'm still quite scared) and I'm proud to say that I am. I'm facing new challenges in my life but it's something I think I can manage.

Are you in a career that has elements of uncertainty? How do you handle it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out to comment. Come back real soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...