September 24, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Making a dish low carb

Living a low carb lifestyle certainly has its challenges. Especially when we live in a society that breads, pastas, and high carb foods dominate the average meal. My challenge to live a  low carb lifestyle is taking meals from my cooking repertoire and making them low carb.

For example, last week the meal plan called for a pasta dish that I typically made for the family.

Ingredients:
1 Jar of Newman's Own Sockaroni spaghetti sauce
2-3 cups of penne pasta
1 pound of bulk mild italian sausage
Low carb version; substitute pasta with same amount of broccoli

Since I'm completely eliminating the whites from my meals but not from my family's meals I cook the meal a bit differently now. I brown the sausage (draining the excess fat of course) and then add it to the sauce. In the past I mixed the pasta with the sausage and sauce and served it up. Now I pour the sauce over the pasta with a side vegetable and then serve it to the family. My portion consisted of pouring the sauce over steamed broccoli florets and then topping it with a bit of shredded mozzarella cheese. I can't begin to tell you how delicious it was.

If your meals are modified from your family's, do you find modifying your meals challenging?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out to comment. Come back real soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...