September 4, 2011

Something New: Nutritional Yeast

Happy Sunday!!!

I hope your Labor Day Eve is going well. The family and I attended church in the morning and ran errands in the afternoon. I have to say I scored big time at my local CVS. I saved more than I spent and I love trips to the store that saves me money!

I am going to try hard not to write too much, but I had to ask you a question. Have you ever heard of nutritional yeast? Well I found out about nutritional yeast when we had a going away lunch for a co-worker. We went to a local restaurant and I had a blackened salmon wrap with a garden salad.
{via}

The garden salad I had was your typical lettuce leaf, shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, and cucumber. What made this salad different was the nutritional yeast dressing. At first I thought the dressing was a type of mustard dressing. But the flavor wasn't exactly mustard...it almost had a meaty flavor sort of. All I know was that it was DELISH! That is when my co-worker made the comment "it's nutritional yeast!"

I almost choked. What in the world is nutritional yeast? Well apparently in the vegan world that is what is used as a salad dressing and who knows how many other things. Apparently nutritional yeast is rich in B vitamins! All I know is that I am going to have to invest in a jar. I was surfing the web for a recipe and I found this one. I haven't tried it but I plan on it. Maybe that will be a tasty Tuesday blog post.

So have you had nutritional yeast dressing on your salad before? What did you think? I would love to get your opinion. Post your comment below! Here's to a 3 day weekend!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Erika, Just wanted to let you know I’ve passed on the Leibster blog award to you. Pop over to my blog to get some more details.

    I haven't heard of nutritional yeast, but I have heard of savory yeast flakes for a dressing. I am yet to find them in the store though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika, found you through Jane above. Nutritional yeast and savoury yeast flakes are one in the same. I used it all the time in dressings, I've got a couple of recipes on my blog. Happy long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sammy! Thanks so much for visiting!!! I will definitely check out your recipes. I can't wait to start using nutritional yeast. Thanks again!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out to comment. Come back real soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...