October 31, 2013

I need more...but do I?

Lately I've been thinking about my future once I'm done with school. I feel like I don't know much more than I did when I entered school. I may be over critical but I truly believe I could've learned more. Why I'm saying this is that I feel too "green" to enter the workforce after next semester. I just don't feel comfortable securing a job. I've spoken to an instructor about my concern and he suggested I "create" my own self-study course. I can earn up to 3 credit hours and hopefully walk away with knowing a little something something before I apply for work. I thought it was a great suggestion and I just may do it...with at little inner apprehension of course.

This morning after bus stop duty I was explaining to the other moms my dilemma. They completely agree with my feeling of not learning enough. I felt validated. I then returned home to start working on a class project only to avoid it and visit the ultimate time waster (not Facebook) Pinterest. While browsing through new pins I found an article that I thought was the perfect answer to my dilemma. The article was about Sir Richard Branson. It talks about the habits of successful people. Basically, they start before they feel ready. That has ALWAYS been a problem for me. I feel like I need to know ALL the answers before I venture into something new. All the while just wasting time and not just STARTING!

I thought the article was just what I needed to read given my current dilemma. I clearly know enough to secure an entry level graphic designer position. Unfortunately something inside me thinks I need more. Which causes time to past and before you know it haven't started anything and I feel like I've never progressed as a designer.

Do you experience the same dilemma? Do you need to know EVERYTHING before starting?

Oh yeah...Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out to comment. Come back real soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...