October 1, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Veggies on a budget

One big complaint with alot of people is that healthy food, specifically vegetables are more expensive than highly processed foods. That was my argument at least. Now that my meals are more low carb than they have been I find that I'm eating more veggies. I challenged myself by planning my meals based on the vegetables that are on sale. Taking this approach has made meal planning easy for me. If you know me you'll know I kinda hate meal planning, so I embrace anything that makes the process easier.



My process:

Thursday the sale flyer for my grocery store is delivered to my inbox and mailbox. I look for the vegetables that are on sale focusing ideally on BOGO veggies. That ensures that I can make at least two dishes with the sale vegetable. Last week I turned a high carb meal to a healthy low carb meal.

Next I determine what recipe I can prepare with that vegetable. If I don't have a particular recipe then I do a google search for low carb recipes that feature that vegetable. I focus on recipes that will contain ingredients I already have at the house.

Lastly I plan my grocery trip. We are doing Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover so we find ways to save. One way we save is on gas, so our shopping trip occurs on Sunday on the way back from church since it's on the way home. We actually pass 2 grocery stores on the way home so if there is something out of stock at store one we stop at store two and not have to go out of our way and waste any gas.

How do you save on healthy foods that are normally expensive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out to comment. Come back real soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...