August 17, 2011

What’s more important? Part One


Hello my fellow 2b’ers! My post today is a “Two Parter” folks... I really want to talk about setting your priorities during your weight loss journey. 


Priorities you ask? Yes! Priorities. And I’m not talking about your overall weight loss goal as a priority. I am talking about the little day to day “forks in the road” so to speak  or challenges you will face during your weight loss journey. For example, what is more important for you? Reaching your short term or mini goal weight? Or chowing down on something you really shouldn’t be eating because you inner child feels deprived on your new way of eating. Let me tell you that this will be something you will continue to face, and it is best to face it head on before you more forward with your weight loss journey.

Here is an example of one of the things I’m faced with. I LOVE pizza. Well, being on the Atkins diet that is like fatal death! That’s like telling your uber religious mom...”Hi mom, by the way, I’m a devil worshiper!”...okay that is a bit extreme but you get where Im coming from.  So the challenge is this...accepting the fact that in reality I can no longer eat these foods. Long ago I learned that pizza wreaks havoc on my body when I would eat it. My heart would race, I would feel almost intoxicated, and I just wouldn’t feel quite right. So it started back when I was a teen and pizza from Lil Caesars jump-started my bout with asthma. I know It sounds crazy but to this day I feel there was something in that pizza that set off my new (at the time) chronic illness. So from that point on I chose to no longer eat Lil Caesar’s pizza. Shortly after that I learned that Pizza Hut “Meat-lovers” pizza force me to drink water uncontrollably. I couldn’t get enough and then after that I would pee on controllably. So then Pizza Hut was crossed off my pizza eating list. Eventually all pizza’s including my favorite, Papa Johns was on the ban list. At this point I’ve realized that it is more important for me to feel better than to eat pizza. So my priority is to feel better than to satisfy my inner child for about 10 mins and eat a slice of pizza. Don’t get me wrong I’m still human and on occasion I eat pizza. I mean really who doesn’t love a pizza party? That just screams “Calling all inner children come chow down!” But instead of inhaling 1/2 to 3/4 of a pie of meat lovers pizza I now eat a slice, maybe two of cheese pizza. While on the induction phase its just the cheese no crust. And I gotta admit the cheese is my favorite part anyway. 
My journey to thin has been very educational and enlightening. I’ve chosen to listen to my body more than to please my inner child with foolish life shortening indulgences. I’ve realized that I must make priorities when it comes to my health and my weight loss goals. Part two of this post continues with exploration of foods you may have to “give up” to achieve and maintain your goal weight. Also we'll explore tasty alternatives to avoid feelings of deprivation. Come back to explore and don’t forget to post your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time out to comment. Come back real soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...